LIVINGSTONE YOUTH FOOTBALL ACADEMY
The ATD Foundation is working with and funding the Livingstone Youth Football Academy who recruit players and offer opportunities to young people throughout the Southern Province of Zambia. By improving the facilities of the academy and supporting local projects, the club is developing into a force for good in the surrounding communities.
The aim is to increase the reach of the football academy to enable players from more remote villages to play, harness their talent and develop not only their football ability, but through membership of their local team, confidence and resilience to support advances in the local community.
The ATD Foundation has formed a strong partnership with the academy, committing to its future running. Our partnership hopes to:
- Provide football pitches
- Build a facility that includes changing rooms, classrooms and storage
- Purchase of a bus
- Train managers and coaches to deliver specialist sessions
- Ensure all players receive a quality education
- Establish partnerships with local schools
- Run programs related to health and nutrition
The History of the LYFA
- Formation of the Young Boys FC from local young boys in Dambwa, Livingstone
- Trained a couple of times a week under a tree in Dambwa
- Training moved to the field at Mulwani Primary School
- Affiliation with the Football Association of Zambia (FAZ)
- Acquired first team kit as a requirement to play in the local league
- Won district trophy in league for U17 boys.
- Senior boys team qualified for FAZ league division 3
- Club committee recruited and formed
- Recruitment of female players from local schools
- Formation of U15 girls’ team who are entered into the local league
- New football coaches join the club on a voluntary basis
- Partnered with ATD Travel Services who came to visit in June and provided new kits, training equipment and assisted the club financially
- Young Boys FC changed its name to Livingstone Youth Football Academy (LYFA) and registered as a community charity.
- All teams (U12 Boys/U14 Boys/U17 Girls & Senior Boys) playing in competitive leagues
- Senior Boys A team promoted to regional division 2
- Secured an office in Livingstone to manage administration
- Reconstructed the school pitch at Mulwani School to make it flatter and more compact